Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ciao and Other Common Sayings

My dearest friends,

I know Szolla claimed in her first post that I would be posting about Ann arbor summer and she would be posting about her month in Europe but neither of us did either of those things and now we're here to say:

"Oopsie doopsie"


 and

"here we go making the second leg of our journey far more communicated."

That being said, I made it to Roma! After eight hours on a plane over the Atlantic, a surprisingly lax passport check, so lax I thought I had missed a step, and a taxi ride, I reunited with my shining shimmering angel, Sarah Szollar. I also met her cousin Liz who is equally shining and shimmering, suggesting that somewhere in their collective gene pool is a singular person of higher shining and shimmering capacity, or they were both the offspring of a shining person and a shimmering person creating a combination of both parts.

Nonetheless, we are together again.

The first thing we did was eat. My travel companions had been loaded with food during their family time in Sicily and vowed that they "couldn't look at another bowl of pasta." I, conversely, stood up in the middle of the piazza and screamed "SOMEBODY PLEASE BRING ME SOME PASTA." Nobody understood what I was saying, of course, because this is Italy and no person who is going to serve you pasta should be able to speak English. If they can, it's a tourist trap, run as fast as you can into the arms of a real Italian.

I had spaghetti carbonara. Fun story about this dish. It was developed during World War Two when the Italians saw Americans with bacon and eggs. Not knowing what to do with the combination of these seemingly silly ingredients, the Italians made pasta (Szolla). And it is delicious.

Speaking of delicious!




The Roman Colosseum. A beautiful old gorgeous thing. Formerly full of gladiator battles to the death, currently full of Asians taking pictures.

After wandering passed the old Roman Forum, which I am not clear on the exact location of because Szolla pointed at six different things and said, "that's part of the old Roman Forum," I succumbed to jetlag. In the middle of the day. For hours. Then I ate a sandwich. Now I am writing this.

Not all of our blog posts will be this comprehensive, nor will I pass out in the middle of the day in a beautiful new country for multiple hours, but I can assure you we will be posting with more frequency.

Warmest Regards,

Chad Rhiness




No comments:

Post a Comment